Orissa is an eastern state on the Bay of Bengal is mainly famous for ancient Hindu temples. Bhubaneshwar is its capital. The ancient kingdom of Kalinga, which was invaded by the Mauryan emperor Ashoka in 261 BCE resulting in the Kalinga War, coincides with the borders of modern-day Odisha
Traveling brings the family together.
Once a year, we try to plan for a destination where we all can go together. My father in law is paralyzed so when it comes to choosing a destination, we prefer for the one which is easily accessible and of their interest. Like Last year we went to Haridwar, Rishikesh. So this year, when I came to know about airfare sale, without giving another thought planned for Jaggannath Puri, Orissa.
Reasons for Choosing Bhubaneshwar over other destinations:
- The air tickets for this destination was costing much less than AC train fare.
- Jagannath Puri is one of the famous pilgrimages of the Hindus
- This place is not at all costly.
- This place has the moderate climate which is suitable for aged people.
How to travel?
Bhubaneswar, Orissa is well connected by train, bus, and airplanes. For traveling within the state, autos, private cabs or hand rickshaws are most preferred means and convenient too.
When to travel?
Since being near to the Bay of Bengal, Bhubaneswar is the second hottest city in India. October- March is the most preferred time to travel Orissa.
Places to visit in Bhubaneshwar, Orissa
- Jaggnanath Puri: It is one of the ancient temples of India, having its significance as it is one among the “Char Dham”.
- Konark Sun Temple: It is 13th Century temple dedicated to the God Sun. Worshipping here is not allowed. It is a symbol of India’s heritage.
- Lingraj Temple: Lingaraja Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva and is one of the oldest temples in Bhubaneswar, the capital of the East Indian state of Odisha. The temple is the most prominent landmark of Bhubaneswar city and one of the major tourist attractions of the state.
- Chilika Lake: Chilika Lake is a brackish water lagoon, spread over the Puri, Khurda and Ganjam districts of Odisha state on the east coast of India, at the mouth of the Daya River, flowing into the Bay of Bengal, covering an area of over 1,100 km2. It is the largest coastal lagoon in India and the second largest coastal lagoon in the world.
- Golden Beach: Puri Beach is a beach in the city of Puri in the state of Odisha, India. It is on the shore of the Bay of Bengal. It is known for being a tourist attraction and a Hindu sacred place.
- Udaygiri & Khandagiri Caves: Udayagiri and Khandagiri Caves, formerly called Katak Caves or Cuttack caves, are partly natural and partly artificial caves of archaeological, historical and religious importance near the city of Bhubaneswar in Odisha, India.
7. Daringbari: Daringibadi is a hill station in Odisha state of eastern India. It is widely known as “Kashmir of Odisha”, situated at a height of 3000 ft or 915 m in Kandhmal district, the place has pine jungle, , coffee gardens and beautiful valleys
Where to stay?
Bhubaneshwar, Orissa is not a costly city. Here you can easily opt for a starred luxury hotel starting at Rs. 1500-5000/ per day. If you want to stay low on budget and ready to compromise with the facilities, you can book local guest houses or Dharamshalas. Even the temple trust has accommodations whose charges are very negligible and provides good a family stay.
Things Must try in Orissa.
- Milk and milk sweets are famous in Orissa. The rates of milk are also very low in Orissa.
- Since Orissa shares its boundaries with Westbengal, thus you can find many similarities between Orissa and West Bengal in terms of culture, food, and language.
- Rosgulla, Paan, puchka are must try for every foodie.
Special points to keep in mind while planning vacations in Orissa.
- Sunscreen, Umbrella, and mosquito repellant are must carry while traveling to Orissa.
- While visiting the temple or any historical place try to hire a personal guide to enjoy it much better.
- Carry, hard cash and especially, the money of low denomination as being required from pleasing pundits to getting prasad.
- Prefer to book a cab online instead of hiring local autos as auto drivers may charge you over and extra.
The total expense of this trip which consists 9 people (5 elders and 4 kids) and 7 days including traveling, food, and accommodation is 1.30lakhs. In case you also planning for the same, do connect at email@example.com for more details.